Vietnam, 1964. The most wrenching US Engagement of the Cold War would be far more than GI versus Charlie. The Conflict had set Tribesman against Nationalist, Buddhist against Catholic, Mandarin against Villager, and of course Northerner against Southerner, even among the Communists. As revolutionary change burned through that ancient civilization, Washington would apply its armament and its operations research. To get out, the US Counterinsurgency would have to motor deeper and deeper in. In the end, culture and will would overcome technology and math and signal the end of the primacy of industrial might in modern warfare.
Volume IV in GMT’s COIN Series dives headlong into the momentous and complex battle for South Vietnam. A unique multi-faction treatment of the Vietnam War, Fire in the Lake will take 1 to 4 players on US Heliborne sweeps of the jungle and Communist infiltration of the South, and into inter-allied conferences, Saigon politics, interdiction of the Ho Chi Minh Trail, air defense of Northern infrastructure, graduated escalation and Media War.
Renowned designer and modern warfare expert Mark Herman joins COIN Series creator Volko Ruhnke for a collaborative production not to be missed. Fire in the Lake features the same card-assisted counterinsurgency game system as GMT's "Andean Abyss", "Cuba Libre" and "A Distant Plain", with a pack of twists that take the Series to another level, including:
- Pivotal Events that trump initiative (Tet Offensive, Vietnamization, Easter Offensive and Linebacker II).
- Inter-coup Campaign effects that vary by RVN Leader.
- Counterinsurgent Guerrillas (US-led Irregulars and ARVN Rangers).
- Insurgent Troops (NVA) for direct force-on-force engagements.
- Tunneled VC and NVA bases.
- Trail construction and degradation.
- A larger-than-ever Event Deck for even greater play variety.
- Short and medium-length Scenarios with either random or period-event options.
Contents: one 22x34" Mounted Map, 248 Wooden pieces (many embossed), 130 Playing Cards, 1 Full-color Countersheet, 1 Rules Booklet, 1 Play Booklet, 9 Player Aid sheets and three 6-sided Dice.
Página del Juego en la BGG